Friday, January 15, 2010

What This Librarian Learned From Haiti

As the weekend ushers in hopefully everyone will have a little time to reflect on the important things in our lives; our family, friends, health and the ability to think and feel so many different, yet incredible feelings and ideas. As I woke up this morning I turned on the television to find images of bodies being thrown into pits, people crying and mourning their lost loved ones and news reporters in pure shock at the tragedy continuing to unfold in Haiti. I could not help but shed a tear or two as I packed my things up to head to a job I loved doing, however in the long run, trivial it may be.

Then I realized what I do isn't trivial in the long run. Being a librarian, which is the art of helping others become better people through cultural enrichment and education, is something to be grateful for. I should be lucky enough to even have a job, to work with other great librarians and the ability to travel to meet with other librarians and people who care about information, knowledge, books and education. The sadness and despair Haiti is going through right now is horrible and I know I could never, ever imagine being in such a situation.

I mean, im on Twitter and writing a blog as part of my job! Its amazing!

But it makes me know how important it is that librarians and educators continue their work. We must give people hope that they can achieve whatever they set their minds towards. I don't care if that sounds cliche, but its more than true. It is life itself. Life is about improving oneself in order to become a better person that is better to everyone in their environment. Librarians can do this through awesome customer service, expert knowledge and a little hard work.

I know im just lucky enough to be slingin' books for a living.

Have a good weekend,

Winniford A. Simmons III
Reference and Information Services Coordinator

No comments: